Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cheers! And hello.

I am not, in fact, a beer widow. My husband did not die from too much beer. Although there are times when I believe I have lost him to the golden, amber or dark suds.

We'll be having a conversation and, if he has just cracked open a new beer to try, I know there's no point in trying to continue talking, as I've lost him while he tastes and smells the lager, ale or porter.

It is in that sense that I use the word widow - because he does sometimes leave me to be alone with his beer.

I use it the same way other women use the term when they say they are a golf widow, or a work widow.

My husband is considering taking up home brewing. I fear I won't see him nearly as much as I'd like once that happens.

Now, as for the url of this blog, why am I the Ontario Beer Widow? Well, there's three reasons, really:

1. The Beer Widow was already taken (by someone who hasn't blogged since Oct. 2010).

2. We live in Ontario.

3. My husband enjoys Ontario craft beers, mostly (although he will dabble in other areas).

I'm not 100% sure what I will write in this blog. I suspect a lot of it will be, "My husband has now tried this beer and likes/hates it, and here's why." I may write my own opinions, because every time he opens a new beer he has me try it as well, but seeing as I know nothing beyond "it's good/it's horrid" it's best to keep the commentary to someone who knows what he's talking about.

(Yes, a wife just admitted her husband knows what he's talking about).

While some wives might turn up their noses at such a hobby/interest, I think it's great. But while I've encouraged my husband to blog about his thoughts, he's more or less scoffed at the idea, saying he doesn't know nearly enough about beer to do so.

I don't know. I've seen an Ontario man with a video camera "reviewing" beers on YouTube and that guy knows nothing (including how to pour a beer), but people still watch it. Why wouldn't they read what he has to say?

So, I'll do it for him.

This blog will not be reviewing or looking at beers like Molson, Labatts, or other major breweries, mostly because Jeff, my husband, does not drink them. Sure, if he's playing flip cup then Brava is fine - but if he's enjoying a beer, he's trying something new and unique. We may sneak the odd Sleeman's product in there, if only because the brewery is five minutes away from our home.

In any case, welcome to our corner of the interwebs. Hopefully you enjoy your stay, and if there's a beer you think my husband should try, let us know by posting a comment - we always love to try new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment